railroad


"then taking from his wallet
an old schedule of trains, he'll say
I told you when I came I was a stranger. " - L. Cohen.

I love trains. In every country I've visited I've maybe loved trains the most.

They are lonely. Even in the bright of day. Even when you are traveling with some of your favourite people and there is much silliness and laughing. They wail; call out. travel a path all their own. If I was heartbroken, I think I would just ride trains forever and never get off.


Savannah GA > Charleston SC.
8:00 a.m. with coffee and croissants and fruit. sleepy friends.
Charleston SC > Savannah GA.
7:30 p.m. in the rain and dark, writing together.
hilary can make me laugh like no one else.

14 comments:

  1. I completely agree: trains are magical but in a very wistful way. They're a technology that belongs only to themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. everyone i know thinks my love of trains is so strange. i'm glad someone else feels the same! there's something just so soothing about their rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trains are by far my favorite way to travel. My favorite part of living in the UK was getting to ride them daily back and forth to work or across the country or too surrounding cities for visits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've always wanted to travel by train, i love train tracks!
    i think i traveled by train wen i was a baby, but that doesn't count.<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love trains, too.
    And these photos are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've become very familiar with trains because of my long distance love affair. It's funny, both the station I leave from and arrive in, have the same name, Penn Station. Unfortunately, amtrak trains are not as glamorous as the old trains out in Western MD. I remember visiting those as a child and they were just gorgeous and slow moving. Chugging along through the "mountains". The seats were much more comfortable and spacious as well. I think a bit of the glamour and elegance have gone out of modern travel.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The second pictures is flawless. The way you have described trains is wonderful. I love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only been on a train once and it was pretty fun. :) Love the 2nd and 3rd pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. love trains. LOVE. my favorite trip was from minnesota to portland - going through the mountains and montana was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nothing less, couldn't be more, just very very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my. Just stumbled upon your blog. I can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It´s the first time that I read your blog... beautiful photos¡

    A big huge from SPAIN

    ReplyDelete
  13. You take amazing photos. Keep em coming please!

    http://twodaylayover.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete