how often at night


this weekend,
in my city,
the wind pulled the colour from the trees and the big downtown art gallery stayed open all night.

there were bands playing on the rooftop and dancers dancing on the sidewalk and wine in plastic cups and strangers dressed in costume. we were introduced to an artist who we both immediately fell for. his paintings of our prairie home stirred in us something close to pride: he painted the sometimes threatening amount of skyspace and landspace and openspace in a way that although exaggerated its beauty, also admitted the plainness and the melancholy. the titles of his pieces ["how often at night" and "big lonely"] have stuck in my head.


this post//this dance//this lunch//dessert tree//this photo

14 comments:

  1. just LOVELY.
    so beautiful.
    i miss the fall at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How so beautiful promenade in your blog ! A delight !
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmm...."how often at night".... a little string of words that stirs so many thoughts and feelings.

    that chalkboard calender is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a lovely evening. i love that your blog has kept me alert to the beauty of fall. So far, all we have here in new york is rain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it was a gorgeous prairie wind that blew this weekend. i didn't know how much i missed it. Luella and I were at Mcnally twice and I don't know if you are still there but I kept my eyes out for you just in case. Also, the baby section there is just about as awesome as it can get. Luella picked some stuff out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...loverly...just loverly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. katrina, ohhhh shoot! i would have loved to run into you. nope, no longer at mcnally. but yes, agreed: the baby section is fantastic - my favourite section for "stuff" and i don't even have a kid! hello luella!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. you see the world from a great perspective...

    ReplyDelete
  9. October!!! I love how you describe the leaf fall. Such a beautiful description. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am so glad I stumbled over your blog...such magical pictures...

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is beautiful. oh, I love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooh! what a pretty pretty blog you have...plus, you won my heart over with these fall images. heaven indeed!

    ReplyDelete