a haircut
a new tin of tea
a bumblebee on halloween (with her cousin the skunk)
wooden windowsill city
a beautiful friend
words thom left one morning
collecting seeds
matches and tea
an old tray


In the book Midnight's Children Aziz falls in love with the woman he eventually marries by seeing her first thru a 7 inch hole in a bed sheet.  He first sees her stomach, then her ankle, then her knee.  It is not until three years later, he sees her face.  By then he is besotted.

This is how it is to be pregnant.  To reluctantly and without sight admit to a slipping of the heart.  We notice the whole world transforming but are afraid to say because we have only small pieces of evidence.  There is just this: a back, an elbow, a knee, moving underneath the tightness of my stretched skin. These tiny pieces, adding up, filling and forming holes in our imaginations.  I will miss this time, I know.

26 comments:

  1. oh goodness. this is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait until i can feel my little one (at 13 weeks i still have a ways to go) fluttering. sounds magic x

    ReplyDelete
  3. now I'm sure. Your blog is my favorite.
    your photos are so wonderful… congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought at first it was you who wrote the note about the baby but the fact that it was Thom makes it even better. So so sweet. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't wait for the announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nikaela, you pair your stories and words in a way that no one else ever could.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful photos, touching words. wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, this is lovely. Such a beautiful way of putting it. (and I'm reading Midnight's Children right now!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbie, it is my very favourite book I think, still. xx Nikaela

      Delete
  9. Beautifully said. I can't wait until this time in my life. Perhaps I'll have to read Midnight's Children too. Sounds so good.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. your words are always so captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You describe the feelings of pregnancy so poetically and I always love reading your blog. Your going to be an amazing mama. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. These pictures are really beautiful. They make me feel warm :')

    ReplyDelete
  13. love, what a gorgeous post. your words move me always. love you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. your writing is lovely. and as a mother myself, rings incredibly true.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautifully written, and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh how i love your blog nikaela

    ReplyDelete
  17. love that scrabble lettering. very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful beautiful analogy. You have a very unique and special eye.

    ReplyDelete