swimming hole

i remember, but as if through a fog.

we took a bus from the orphanage to this swimming place. it was painted green on the inside. there were few seats, and open fans and I sat on the floor. Some girls asked me to braid their hair. After swimming, we ate watermelon and sticky rice and spicy beans and the kids laughed when I took photos of the food.

The girl who is flipping over in the black tube is named Latda, she was one I knew fairly well, one of the three who woke me up every morning, soft taps and whispers at my door. I remember she was daring in the water, climbing tall trees and jumping off, holding her breath for long minutes, doing somersaults, showing off. I remember I was worried. And then I was embarrassed that I was worried. None of the other staff seemed worried.


some time in 2005 or 2006; the border of Burma and Thailand

15 comments:

  1. oh how fun. i always get worried in unexplored waters and then i feel silly because of how carefree everyone else is in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're a real wordsmith; a bit of polysndeton & i'm on board.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love when you write about that time and space of your past. reading words you've written about thailand always makes me blink away tears.
    xo

    p.s. oops. i had to write my comment again. i suck at computers :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. plouf, your blog is really beautiful, plouf

    ReplyDelete
  6. your words are enough to bring me to burma and thailand, if only in my mind.
    thanks for sharing such sweet memories and photos, nikaela.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love every photos you took. such an inspiration ♥
    Interesting blog, I really enjoyed browsing it :)

    XX JUNO ♥
    Ohit'sJuno▲

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful memory...thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. second photo is absolutly amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i remember going to a swimming hole at my friends cabin summers ago. these photos brought back those happy memories and made me feel a bit nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. swimming holes... such a nice memory indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spent at least one hour looking your old entries and pinning pictures. You totally captured me! Congratulations for your blog : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful, nikaela. sounds like an awesome memory. love times like these.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love the story of your memory. makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete